Friday, October 14, 2011

The Horror-meter

With Halloween almost here, the stores are full of extra candy and costumes, and of course television is in full mode scary, just look at channels like AMC Fear Fest all month and also the new season of The Walking Dead (a must).
Anthony HopkinsAnthony Hopkins (Image via RottenTomatoes.com)
I have to say I am a movie junkie, I will watch anything, even if it sucks, this helps me appreciate the good movies; horror is one of those guilty pleasures of mine, is so bad that has to be good. I came up with a Horror-meter that makes me score this movies, shows, or anything related with horror, and I want to share it with you.
  • 1. Lame Troll. No need to say that this is for the horror movies that are so bad that you feel you last a couple of hours of your life that you will not get back, ex. Nightmare on Elm Street 4, Ghoulies, Leprechaun (ring a bell?), they were so bad that I didn't know if I should laugh or cry....or even dare to finish the whole thing.
  • 2. The Jump. Is the movie that make you do a little unexpected jump from your seat, you can put in this category horror movies that involve teenagers (scream, final destination), I am not saying they are bad, but are not the ones that make me have nightmares while I sleep. It can also be movies like 
  • 3. Sick and disturbing. We have tons of movies that fit #3. The Human Centipede people! it is so disturbing that I need it to turn my face away a few times, and guess what? they came with the idea of The Human Centipede 2. Who can forget the Hostel movies or House of 1000 Corpses, or the first Hellraiser wasn't bad, but after the first it went down hill. Any type of Zombies might fit in this category based on the fact that, well they pretty much spend the whole movie eating you.
  • 4. Peek a Boo. Level 4 is dedicated to the suspense and horror movies that give me a story that doesn't show much scary stuff but it get your there; they always keep me in the edge of my couch. This might sound like Level 2, the difference is that this are a much better movies. Stories about hunting and everything in between (Amityville) We have many like Psycho, Halloween, The Haunting and Saw.
  • 5. Hannibal Honors. This Score goes for the best in Horror and suspense, the ones that you still talking about them, the movies that make your sleep habits to change for a bit; The Exorcist and the Shinning are a good example, until this day everyone remember this, they are a classic that even with time will still scare the crap out of you; or of course The Silence of the Lambs, what Anthony Hopkins did with this character is by far one of his best work. We are not talking about conventional in your face horror, but this type of movies leave you with a lasting impression and you will be willing to watch them again every October when they give you a Marathon of this movie gender. 

I cant say my scale really can tell you that my top movies will be your taste, but it works for me. This days horror has change so much, movies like Paranormal Activity are the NEW Poltergeist and Japanese remakes are in. What is you favorite horror movies? or you think I should add something to my scale? Horror movies suck in general, but what makes them watchable is the fact that I don't expect much from them, and when it ends up being a good movies, really turns into a good surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...